Friday, June 10, 2016

June 9, 2016

Another good day! The weather was warmer (70oF) and the sun was out! The day started off early with me getting Leonardo at 6:00 am in the morning. He slept till about 9 am and then woke up. When he woke up we played till 12. We played games like “Guess why I’m crying now?” and “Find the pacifier” which kept the time moving quickly. After I watched him for the morning I was invited to go to the convent to have lunch with the nuns, Carina, and Elena. I was a nice meal that consisted of rice, a soup, and chicken. Before the lunch I was placed on the edge of the table next to two very talkative nuns (I usually try to hide between Elena and Carina so that I’m safe from questions. This time I was on my own). They asked me a TON of questions and we talked all of lunch. I made them laugh a lot and didn’t stutter all the time haha!
            While we were walking back from the convent I asked Carina if I could go to the market by myself. She said sure and I was off on my own! I bought some souvenirs and even talked to some of the locals. It was a lot of fun (even though a guy looked at me and said a bad word). When I returned to the Hogar, I forgot that I needed to buy one more thing (that was being sold at a church office in town). I hopped on a mototaxi and off I went, speeding through Montero. When I arrived at the church, the office was closed so I sat outside on the steps of the church. While I was sitting there, a woman (in her mid-50s) came through the main gates of the church crying. I sat there for a minute (thinking what I should do), then I went up to her and asked if she was ok. She said how she was going through a rough time and I expressed my sympathies to her. We started up a conversation and I think that helped take her mind off the subject she was grieving about. Anyways, the office opened and she helped me get what I needed. When I was leaving the office doors, she stopped me and insisted that I come to her house for a mid-day snack. She seemed like she needed the company so I agreed to join her. On the walk to her house, she told me she is a nurse at the local hospital and also runs a little shop from her house. She also has two children that are in the University studying architecture and business.
 When we arrive at her house, (a quiet and peaceful little casa, two stories with a nice courtyard in the middle) I saw a little altar next to a table in the courtyard. The altar had flowers, a statue of Jesus, multiple rosaries, and a picture frame on it. As we were walking through the courtyard, she stopped, pointed at the photo and said that it was her husband. She proceeded to break down crying. It was a very, very sad moment. We sat on the courtyard floor for 5 minutes as she grieved. After she regained herself, she made us a little merienda of bread, cookies, and coffee. While we were eating, she kept staring at the altar, so I asked to know more about him. She told me that he worked at a telephone company and was an excellent father. One day, he slipped off the balcony in their house and fell head first into the courtyard. She told me how he died in her arms. I hugged her right away and she hugged me back. I feel that she needed me there today (it was the 2 year anniversary of his passing). After the merienda, she told me to come back anytime and wished me luck with my travels and research. She was a very nice lady and I am glad I could help in her time of need.
            After I arrived at the Hogar, I hung out with the girls and ate a little dinner. I am now about to go to bed. I will update the blog on Friday (in the morning), and hopefully Friday at night! Saturday and Sunday will be travel and rest days. The final update will be on Monday then I will complete the rest of the project the following week! Thanks for the emails and for keeping up on this journey! Chao!

 The girls in the Santa Ana part of the orphanage are wearing hats to contain the lice and make sure it doesn't spread to the other girls
 They still are so cute!
 This is the little courtyard of the woman's house.
 And the table we ate at.
 Ines and I!
I gave her my W&J orientation shirt as a little gift. She returned the favor by giving me a bracelet!

3 comments:

  1. Christopher! What an adventure you are having. And what a gifted storyteller you are. You are blessed to have this experience. You will be so glad you have these stories written down so you remember them. Your mother taught you well (RV, anyone?). Be well!-Mrs. D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris being the great person he always is- helping those in their time of need. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris being the great person he always is- helping those in their time of need. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete