Thursday, June 9, 2016

June 8, 2016

     I had a good day today! It was fun and very eventful. The day started off a little earlier than usual because I got to go to the University with Marta. We left the Hogar at 6:30 for a class that was supposed to start at 7:00. We walked about a half of a kilometer to the bus stop then got into a very tiny bus that had about 10 people squeezed into it. We rattled and clanked all the way to the far side of town where the University was located. To paint a picture of the University (because I didn’t take any pictures because I was scared), it was a couple of large, uncompleted white buildings that had a very eerie feel to them. They were made of cinder blocks and were extraordinary plain. Anyways, we arrived at the classroom at 7:06 (I was expecting to be late) and when we walked in, there were only 6 people in the entire room! We sat down and waited about 20 minutes while people trickled in. At around 7:25 the teacher shows up and starts grading material that the students turned in. At 7:50, the class was about full (90 people) and he started teaching his Economics 100 level class. I caught a good bit of it to be honest! We talked about supply and demand and the point of equilibrium between the two. It was relatively interesting. When class finished up we went to the market and I bought empanadas and mandarin oranges for us to eat. The 10 oranges cost 50 c in total!
            When I got back to the Hogat, I found Chiki plucking lice off a girl’s head and I offered to help. For the next hour I sat on the floor picking lice off this girl’s hair. I didn’t even come close to finishing when I was invited to eat lunch with Mother Rosario and a fellow nun. We talked about rivers during the lunch and how Mother Rosario LOVES to swim.
            After lunch I was invited to go to a meeting with Carina about epileptic seizures (apparently there has been a few people having them in the community in the past few weeks). Carina and I went so that we could teach the nuns how to deal with a child having a seizure. The talk was led by 3 American doctors who are a part of an organization in the US. They were very helpful and I was very impressed with myself that I understood the entire lecture in Spanish! Afterwards, I spoke to them about my research that I was conducting and also about their organization. Anyways, after the meeting, Carina and I went to the store to buy some snacks for my flight home. I bought Oreos (yum) and Doritos (double yum!) which I think will hold me over for the 12-hour long marathon of a flight!

Thank you for the emails and the support! It really means a lot. I will be updating the blog tomorrow morning and Friday morning. I will then probably wait till Monday to finish the blog up! I will complete the rest of my Magellan Project at home and that will be done by the end of next week. Thanks for keeping up with me so far! Chao!!!

 The University classroom. We sat towards the front. The desk was way too small for my long legs haha.
 The hallways of the buildings all looked the same.
 This is me picking lice off a girl's head. She is giving a different pose than I expected.

 Luchi, Tatiana, y Angelina. They ran out of their music practice to say hi to me!
The epilepsy meeting. Wanna hear something ironic? The lights would blink when they were turned off.

No comments:

Post a Comment