Thursday, May 19, 2016

Project Description (Before I left)

        The world is full of the tired, the sick, and the hungry. People in developing nations fight a courageous battle to survive day-to-day. I have been very blessed in my lifetime to have first world commodities. However, people in other countries have not been so lucky and struggle with surviving. I want to help; I want to make a difference in the lives of the impoverished. Due to family help and the Magellan Project, I will be able to assist at an all girl orphanage in Montero, Bolivia called “Hogar Sagrado Corazón” or “Sacred Heart Home”. During my time there, I will be researching the efficiency of the administration of vaccinations and helping the nuns at the orphanage.
         Starting at a young age, infants around the world receive shots that vaccinate them from multiple diseases. But, in poverty-stricken communities, some infants do not receive the recommended vaccines. I want to find out if the girls receive their suggested vaccinations, according to the World Health Organization’s vaccine guidelines. If they receive their necessary vaccinations, I will be looking into who financially provides the vaccinations, who administers the vaccines to the girls, if the vaccines are always given on time, and how the girls’ medical records are documented. If the girls do not receive the recommended vaccinations, I will research why and then look into setting up a way for the orphans to get their much needed vaccinations. This could include asking churches in the United States to donate money for the sole purpose of vaccinations. The overall goal of the project is to identify the barriers that the orphanage faces and to propose a solution to any of the problems.
         The U.S. National Library of Medicine states that only 68% of Bolivian children are “fully vaccinated”, meaning that they have received all of their vaccinations according to the World Health Organization standards. I will compare these results with the percentage of girls in the orphanage that have all of their vaccinations. Then, I will analyze the details from my comparison to see why the numbers demonstrate those specific results. According to the Governmental Global Affairs of Canada, Bolivia’s Ministry of Health is lacking the technical capacity to address health related issues in the country. By the end of my trip, I will see if this statement pertains to the Hogar Sagrado Corazon.
         Most of my time in Bolivia will be spent at the orphanage. During that time, I will be working in their infirmary and taking the girls to doctor visits since I have a health related interests. If I am not needed in those sectors, I am willing to do whatever the nuns ask of me, including putting my two years of landscaping experience to use! When I have the opportunity to go beyond the walls of the orphanage, or after I have finished my research, I will enjoy sight seeing around the city of Montero. I plan to adventure into the local markets and shop such as “Mercado Germán Morado”, as well as roaming through the Plaza Principal de Montero. Pertaining to my project, I will visit the local hospital to get the physician’s opinion on the vaccinations distributed in the city. Talking to local physicians in the hospitals will give me a better understanding of the problems that children face in receiving a complete vaccination schedule.

         I want to make a difference in these girls’ lives. By studying the barriers of appropriate distribution of the vaccinations, I will be able to make sure that the girls are being cared for in the best way possible. If they are not, I will do my best to help resolve the issue, because no one deserves to live a life with the threat of preventable diseases.

No comments:

Post a Comment