Sunday, May 29, 2016

May 28, 2016

     Another good day south of the equator! It started off very very early in the morning. I got up at 4:30 for mass and we were on the road by 5:00. I’m being literal when saying on the road because we walked an hour to mass. There was about 60 of us in the convoy walking down the middle of the streets in the pitch black. The people that made up this convoy were the nuns, workers, and assistants of the Hogar. Also, people would come from their houses along the route to go to mass with us. This steadily increased our group’s size. The really neat and beautiful part was that one of the nuns brought a microphone with a loudspeaker. While walking, the nuns said the rosary and the girls sang songs over the loudspeaker. It was surreal. Everyone was holding hands and walking in the same direction. Even though it was really early in the morning, the energy in the crowd was electrifying. Definitely one of the neater experiences of my life. Anyways, we got to mass about 5:45 and mass started at 6:00. All the seats were full which really surprised me considering it was so early in the morning. After mass an old lady came up to me which the girls have nicknamed “Loca Lucia” (Crazy Lucia). She said hello and welcomed me to Bolivia which was very nice. Then she proceeds to not let go of my handshake until I had to really slip my hand out of her hands. The girls say she’s my girlfriend now haha.
        After that nothing much happened throughout the day that was noteworthy. Just some work for my project and preparing for the big fiesta of the night. I learned that the fiesta was for Mother’s Day. In the afternoon the dancers and I (all girls and me as the only guy) went to a little shop to rent costumes for the big event. The store was filled to the brim with colorful clothing, hats, and various other props. I got my costume and props within 10 minutes and then I had to wait an hour till the rest of them got what they wanted. I guess things don’t change too much culture to culture.
        The night of the big dance had arrived and at 6:30 some people from the town were allowed into the Hogar to watch. My group of dancers and I watched most of the show before we needed to head into the back to change (we were the grand finale). I got to watch the girls of the Hogar play instruments, sing, and dance during the show. They were all very talented and it was a pleasure to watch the traditional music and dances (except one dance was to Pitbull’s hit single Fireball, not so traditional). I have videos and I will post them as soon as I figure out how to do it. For now, pictures will do. Anyways, a funny little thing that happened to me: I had the honor to hand out the prizes for the night’s raffle. When this old lady won a basket full of potatoes she came up to me and began to shake my hand. She then pulled me closer (I didn’t know if I should’ve do the kiss on two cheeks kind of thing) and I kind-of gave her a hug. It was awkward and embarrassing and I think I heard some people laugh.  
        My part of the show came up and I did pretty well! I messed up one part but the girls told me I did very well and was the highlight of the show. I will post the video of the dance ASAP. After the show there were snacks! The snacks included pastries, chips, and popcorn. Apparently in Germany they don’t put salt or butter on popcorn (to add to this, they sounded repulsed of the idea of putting butter on popcorn)! They just put sugar on it! Today I learned that the Germans have not lived life to the fullest yet haha.
        Overall it was a good day! I look forward to reading the emails you guys send me so keep those up! Thanks so much for your support. It really is helping me get through this time down here in the “land of surprises”-Mother Superior. Other than that, Chao!


 This is us leaving the Hogar. I will try to update with a video ASAP! Notice the only light that morning came from lamp posts.
 This is me washing my clothes. The girls made fun of me because I had so much laundry.

 George and Tom made it to the early morning mass. They were much more awake than me.
This is me after trying on my outfit for the dance in the store. The made me change behind a pile of clothes.

 These are some of the girls that sang (ages 9-13)
 More singers (ages 13-16)
 My tinko outfit! It was kind of itchy...
 This is the part of the dance I messed up. I was supposed to do a spin and put my arms up but I just stood there.
The dance crew at its finest. Notice that me and the two German girls are the tallest people there.

No comments:

Post a Comment